Research Circle “History of Polish Drama 1864-1939”
by the Institute of Polish Literature
at the Faculty of Polish Studies of the University of Warsaw
has the honour of inviting to an international scientific conference
In the Theatre of Times. Historical Dramas Between 1864 and Today
which will take place on May 9-10 2016
at Tyszkiewicz-Potocki Palace (Krakowskie Przedmieście 32)
Historical drama – seemingly forgotten and existing outside of the theatrical mainstream – is still a very much alive genre. New scenic texts referring to the past are created, whereas history discourse in literature is still attracting numerous filmmakers. However, a contemporary academic reflection upon the historical drama is apparently lacking. Our conference is aimed at creating a new language and research tools for analysing texts of historical dramas, as well as their Polish and European stagings.
During the meeting we would like to cover the following topics (among others):
– academic, theatrical, and literary reception of historical dramas starting from the second half of the 19th century
– remembering the authors, who contributed significantly to the development of the genre
(e.g. Anczyc, Feliński),
– stagings of historical dramas (old and new),
– drama as a space for historical and historiosophical disputes,
– contemporary historical drama (Demirski, Wojtyszko, Słobodzianek),
– history in drama as an ideological tool,
– reworking historic events through the dramatic text,
– history from the feminist perspective,
– theatralisation of the historic events memory – social spectacle scenario,
– historical drama as a genre and as a material for staging – theoretical problems.
Working languages of the conference: Polish, English (in case of other languages contact with the organisers required).
The conference fee of 320 PLN / 80 EUR will cover two dinners, coffee breaks, conference materials and publication of the conference proceedings book. An outing to a theatre or to the Warsaw Philharmonic is also planned.
All expenses for travel and accommodation shall be paid by the participants.
Please send a filled application form together with an abstract (not more than 2000 signs) by February 29 2016 to the email address provided below:
When the abstracts are read the short-listed participants will be informed by email about the acceptance of their conference papers. Only after receiving a confirmation should the registration fee be paid.
The Organising Comittee:
prof. dr hab. Maria Jolanta Olszewska
mgr Marek Grajek
mgr Michał Zdunik
Bank account number for payment in PLN:
26 1160 2202 0000 0000 6084 9503
Bank account number for payment in Euro:
IBAN Bank Account No.: PL64 1160 2202 0000 0000 6084 9207
SWIFT Code: BIGB PL PW
In the transfer title please write: historical drama (as well as the name of the participant)
Attention! The invoice will be issued for the person who payed for the participation in the conference so if an invoice issued for the represented institution is needed you are asked to make sure that said institution pays for your participation in the conference.
Please feel free to contact us if you need any further information.